Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Doing yoga and not being pretentious.

I'm hoping that isn't tough to accomplish.


It is my understanding that the point of yoga is to marry body and mind, stretch your muscles and even combine it with psychotherapy as an exponentially benefiting treatment.
Then tell me why a yoga t-shirt (to its credit: it’s that really thin, soft cotton with a pretty Zen logo on it) was over $140 at the retreat center I was at this weekend? And also, explain to me why people who do yoga claim it as their practice: "I've had my yoga practice for 12 years".  It actually took me until this weekend to realize this meant this person has been practicing yoga for 12 years, versus owning/running a studio.
I guess by that logic I've had a running practice or even a TV watching practice for many, many years...but no one seems impressed by this.
So what happened to the Zen, mother earth and self-care authenticity of yoga as a moving mediation, as it was for the last couple thousands of years? The Dalai Lama must be pissed.
Don't get me wrong, the introduction I got to yoga this weekend was great, I really enjoyed it especially in the context of psychology.  The workshop I was at this weekend was centered on Tal Ben Shahar's (hailing from Harvard) work with combining yoga, positive psychology and mindfulness to maximize therapeutic effects (physically, emotionally and mentally).  
Instead of going into all of the psychobabble, I will just tip my hat to the amazing weekend of teachings and say that I thought it was enlightening.  His take on life as well as understanding of the brain and what helps people make changes is helpful for my personal pursuit of being happier, healthier and more fulfilled, as well as helping to inform better therapy for my clients (if you are interested in the psychobabble and clinical applications, let me know). I recommend you pick up his books, specifically Happier.
Frankly, I'm just introspective enough mixed with expensive taste that the potential affluent community yoga could foster is even partially appealing, if I'm being completely honest with you.  In that vein, I'm surprised I didn't come to yoga sooner...
Of course I don't think all of you who "have a yoga practice" are snotty folks walking around in draping clothing and comfy stretch pants (although I could totally get used to that wardrobe, let me tell you)…but it does make me wonder about what it would mean for me to do yoga.  Would I be doing yoga for my own health and benefit? Would I be doing it to be part of the in in crowd?
Something that I've heard from others, who also haven't dipped their toe into the yoga pond yet, is that they feel intimidated.  I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and she was saying "I'm too nervous to go to a class, it makes me anxious", which I totally understand.  Before I had done a couple classes, my mental picture of it was that it was almost like taking ballet:  striving for perfection, hitting the poses/positions just right and that it has a slightly competitive nature between you and the others in the class.  

My understanding is there are some studios like this, but also that many are (like the one I was a this weekend) about allowing yourself to be human, pushing yourself when you feel you can/want to, and really getting comfortable with Mountain, Happy Babby, Warrior, Pigeon, or whatever.

So where does this all leave me?  Well it leaves me with wanting to do yoga but not wanting to feel intimidated.  Ultimately I don't want my yoga experiences to land me feeling badly about my dwindled flexibility (from my gymnastics days), the fact that I can't hold some of the balancing positions very well yet and that I'm not a twiggy ballerina. 

It looks like I'll have to shop around and find a studio that is down to earth...at least until I'm good enough to be pretentious about it.

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment