Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Love Your City, Ghettos and All

I hope this post comes off how I want it to.  This is not judgmental or critical of anyone in particular or any group in particular.  In fact I think I'm realizing that I'm not as culturally aware as I thought I was.  This is an opportunity and an area of growth for me that I'm happy I stumbled upon.

...just a few random thoughts (that are not groundbreaking I assure you) about driving, city and culture.

Yesterday I was driving through a part of the city that I wasn't used to (a few run down impoverished areas where a portion of the minorities in the city, live).   I could have sworn I was in a different city than I had lived in for the last 5 years.  

First of all, how did I not really know what these parts looked/felt like? I knew they existed obviously, as they show up in the news a lot and I know people who have lived in those areas..but I had apparently not made my way through the heart of it before.  I felt like I learned a lot just from driving through (and garnered some perspective on a few of my clients who are poor or disenfranchised...).

Because I was in an area that I haven't been before, and was trying not to get lost (what did we do without GPS?), I was hyperfocused on my surroundings and where I was going...as a result I noticed things that either are more apparent there or more likely just that I don't typically notice.

Evacuation Route:  Even if there is no catastrophe going on, there is some relief when you realize that you are driving the direction that the "Evacuation Route" sign is pointing...just in case.  Ever notice that you're like "oh well, good at least I'll get out if I need to"...? Not really? Well that is probably because you see one of those signs in each town, and no follow-up signs.  Where am I supposed to go after I pass this sign?  What happens to the people coming the other direction that don't know this is the way they should be going?

Reckless Driving: There are some people who don't know how to drive, or don't care that you do.  Don't you know that you are crazy if you are going fast than me, and you are annoying if you are going slower?   I had a guy in-front of me cut over all the traffic lanes in a way that oncoming traffic almost hit him while he took a left hand turn.  Reckless drivers come in all shapes, sizes, colors, races, backgrounds, and genders.  There are a lot of stereotypes out there but frankly, I've seen a lot of 30 year old white guys drive like ass holes, so they are not exempt from needing to brush up on some rules of the road.

Not Even Padiddle:  I'm not sure how, but people are not aware that their headlights are not on.  You can try and tell them by flashing your lights, beeping, waving your hands, but in the dark they think you're just being a jerk.  Really the only way they will realize it is if you drive up next to them at a red light and risk being misinterpreted when you yell at the person in the car to open their window.  One lady was thankful actually and turned them on, but she was one of three cars I saw in a 15 minute drive (at night) where people didn't have their lights on.

Stoop Social: Hanging out on the stoop is a cultural thing...a culture however, that I'm not a part of but feel like I might enjoy.  It would not be very fulfilling here in the burbs, but once I'm back in the city I want to sit on my stoop and see what I see.  I have a feeling it might be worth the people watching, if nothing else.

Minority Based on Context: In a place where being white is the minority, there are some feelings that come up.  Feeling like you don't belong, feeling like you have something to prove (like that you can hang), concern of being judged, concern of being in danger (though likely not realistic), feeling of being "other".  I have to say there was something exhilarating about it, I felt like there was something for me to learn.  Don't misunderstand, my hometown is fairly diverse it's not like I haven't seen people outside of my own culture, but I have always lived in more culturally "vanilla" (pardon the term) parts of the cities/towns I've resided in and haven't spent much time in the ghettos or subsidized areas.  Without sounding ignorant, I wonder if people who look different than the bulk of people around them, feel this way walking around other parts of the city? Is it ever just so common that it isn't recognizable anymore? My guess is not, my guess is that for some this feels challenging on a daily basis.

You're not Paranoid: If you think others are looking at you funny, you might be right.  "Who brought her here" I'm sure was thought or said on some stoops when I got out of my car at my friend's house.  Not that she lives in the ghetto, but the area is closer to those parts and therefore is more populated by non-white families in multifamily homes.  This was actually okay. I'm not a threat, and I clearly don't look like a threat, in fact I'm sure it was probably funny to some of the neighbors who were seeing me there.

Upgrade: I'm so ready to drive a nicer car, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Ms. Vicki...

Love Your City, Ghettos and All:  Explore the areas you don't have reason to explore.  I regret not having seen more of the beautiful less popular, cultural, interesting, historical areas of the city.  You may find some interesting things and have a better sense of who calls your area home, too.  I thought I knew, but I didn't.

Alrighty folks, have a wonderful weekend...oh and, safe driving y'all.

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment