Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

to upgrade, or not to upgrade in this disposable society

"Oh no! What happened?!" is a question I've been hearing a lot lately from friends, family and even strangers.

In a frenzy to get out the door in time to make it to class one morning,  my headphones (I was obviously listening to NPR) got caught on the front door handle of the building and my Droid flew to the ground with such great force that it couldn't withstand the impact. 

I swear the crackling that spread across the screen happened a split second after it hit, and since the world was moving in slow motion as I yelled "nooooo!" I caught a glimpse of it as if it were in slow motion on that show Time Warp.

It almost stopped me from going to class. I felt defeated before the day had even begun, but I picked up the phone and realized it still worked, so off to class I went.

...that was well over two months ago, and this is how it looks today.  

Broken.  









But functioning.  


People have been very perplexed by this (unless of course their own phones look just like it, like my friend's twin phone...mine was in a case here)
"How much does it cost to fix/replace?"  
"Why haven't you gotten it fixed yet?"  
"Doesn't it drive you crazy?" 
"Awe your phone looks so sad."

It's pretty funny to me actually.  Everyone from my aunt, to a guy at a bar, has commented about it.  People seem so concerned about the screen on my phone, and are confused why I haven't replaced it yet.

I keep wanting to say "CONGRATULATIONS! You're the 100th person to comment on my broken phone!" 

Yes, I'm aware that I pay insurance for a reason and that Verizon would replace my phone for $50.  

But then I'd have to go in the store and be like "I dropped my phone", they'd have to ship me a new one (since they don't carry the replacement phones in store these days), I'd have to go to Verizon to transfer my info (or figure out how to do it myself, though it doesn't sync with my Mac), then send the broken phone back.  Or something to that effect.

And then what happens to the broken one? With this much damage I'm hard pressed to think they would "fix" it to give to someone as refurbished...especially since the charger jack is jacked up and you have to wrap the chord around the phone to keep it tight enough to charge.  So it would likely end up in a landfill somewhere.  Or instead, it will end up in my desk drawer with all my other old phones (Nokia brick phone, a couple flip phones, a Blackberry) once I cave (IF I cave) and get an iPhone.

Okay so I should probably get a new phone, but why so much pressure to do so?  

Are we such a disposable society that even when something works, if it is blemished we immediately assume we need to fix it, or get a new one? Yes, yes we are.

For the most part, the phone works.  So for now, I'm keeping it.

There have been other things that I've easily tossed to the side for a new one.  Typically when things are actually broken (like a camera that went swimming in my purse when my bottle of water opened inside), or when I've had something for a really long time and a new technology has made the other one nearly obsolete (think heavy old TV...in comes Mr. Flatscreen). 

Obviously there are people who have thought about this.  With the influx of electronics in our lives and the speed with which new electronic, gadgets and cars (I'll get to this in a second) come out and change, we are lured into replacing what we have.  

We need to be more conscious of our "stuff".  

Some companies (on a local and national level) are focusing on helping people with recycling/safely throwing away of odd things from refrigerators, batteries to electronics, which is really smart.  But who knows about those services, or thinks about them when upgrading?  Well, hopefully now you.

Sooo back to me and this upgrading shenanigans.

On a larger scale than my Droid, I recently asked myself the question "To upgrade, or not to upgrade", and I have made the decision to "upgrade" my car in the next few months or so.

I drive a 2001 Civic (Vicki) Coupe (it's a standard because I'm bad ass, though I'm kind of sick of shifting).  I've had the car for about 8 years and it has really been a great little zippy car for the city, has great gas mileage, and until the last few months it was working without any major problems.  Hondas are pretty sound cars.

It has 75k miles on it, is in good condition, has a a few rattling sounds, but overall is still a really good car.  It's not really that bad.  I just fixed some necessary stuff (breaks, A/C, got a tune up, oil change).  It's very safe to drive but I probably still could have every rattle and thud sound fixed for another $1k or so (making the work about $2k in all) and drive that baby into the ground for the next 5 years...but for a car worth $4-$5k is that worth it?  Maybe.  Probably.

So why would I want a new(er) car?  Well I just feel like I want a car that is a bit nicer, and not 

The truth is I've been fixated for the last couple of months on cars (more so than I normally am).  I'm talking car envy like woah. When I'm out driving all I look at are other cars these days..."Would I like that?" or "Oh, I like that".  

At one point I was so distracted this week looking at all the cars around me that I missed my exit coming home from work on the highway.

Sounds like a healthy obsession, no?  

Most likely why I'm always a bit car fixated is I grew up with my parents having beat up older cars that i was embarrased of. I think that this feeling (among other things we couldn't really afford at that time) has left an imprint on me.  I, like millions of others, see cars as a bit of a status symbol...or an indication that someone has "made it".  So now that I'm a real working adult again, and have "made it", I want a nicer car.  

Financially it has only recently made sense since I'm now working, not in school and I'm living at home for the time being.  Since I'm saving money by not paying rent, I'll be able to use some money that has been tucked away (my dad left me a little bit when he passed away, and I've finally decided it's time to use it) and graduate to a new-to-me car. 

It was kind of emotional to let go and say that I'm going to use the money from my dad as it is the last thing I have from him .  Ultimately what I wanted was for that money to be spent on something meaningful that I could feel like he "gave" to me.

What I realized the other day (when I decided that I'd use the money, finally) is that what he's giving me is really a gift of some freedom.  He's giving me a fresh start with some of my finances after grad school (which helps with the anxiety) and a little help with snagging some newish wheels (which helps lessen the lame factor of living at home for a bit).

So, yesterday I paid off my two credit cards which is a huge relief.  Yay for my only debt now being enough school loans to feed a small country!!

Next step is car hunting.  I have to do some research to see what I can really afford, and what I want.    Granted I won't be able to nab the Mercedes that I'd love (in banana yellow, obvi), or a nice new hybrid SUV, or even a brand-brand new car, but maybe I'll land a ride that is only a few years old that will last me as long as my trusty Civic has.

I don't think it's too lofty to want something to show for my hard work in graduate school and for the challenging job I've taken on for my career (but mostly just something nice to sit in for my commute everyday).

Ultimately I'll probably be buying someone else's "I'm ready for a nicer car"-car, and hopefully when I trade mine in, she ends up with someone who loves her, who will get some good years out of her (at least before good ol' Vic ends up as a crushed up block of steel, rubber and plastic in some landfill).

Hey, at the very least I'm being kind of green and sticking it out with the Droid, for now.

Wish me luck car hunting, if you have car buying tips let me know!

Vrooom.  Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment