Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Lucky Friday the 13th

It took me until about a half hour ago to realize it was Friday the 13th (this is due to not having any structure or real need to know what day it is due to being in transition - see last few posts to get the scoop).

It's surprising that I didn't know because this is something I typically pay great attention to.

I guess you could say I'm a bit superstitious.

I was actually born on a Friday the 13th a few years ago...You may be thinking what people usually say when they hear this: "oh scary!" or "oh that explains a lot".  I'm not clear on what either really mean, but I usually respond with "no way it's awesome".

Some of my closest friends were also born on 13th's, (mayy on Fridays too) and we agree that it's very lucky.  I'd go as far to say as it might just be the best day to be born, but I'm partially biased. 

Aside from really liking Friday the 13th's, I also tend to bite my tongue or knock on wood.  I've been told that knocking on wood is a reference to knocking on the wood of the cross, and that biting one's tongue is more of a Jewish thing, so I guess pick your dogma poison...I tend to do both, just in case.

I'm often worried about jinxing things by talking about them or getting excited about them before they happen...but I think ultimately this is just avoiding being disappointed.  Although there seems to be an uncanny correlation to when I talk about something "big" that may happen, that it doesn't end up happening (for better or for worse).  Even simple things like shaving your legs.

Ladies, ever notice the correlation of prepping and shaving your legs and not meeting someone out...I swear it's when we don't have time to update the smoothness of our legs we end up hitting it off with someone at the bar.

I think the largest part of my superstitious nature is around LUCK (from the Irish portion of myself perhaps). I do also believe that certain people have more luck than others. I have a history of being very, as I see it, "lucky" in a lot of ways (I won't list them in the hopes of not jinxing any pending luck).  I do also think that luck comes in bunches...

For instance right now I don't feel particularly lucky since my life is up in the air in almost all aspects, but I wouldn't be surprised that all those things will lock into place in kind of this big cosmic shift.  One thing will change and the domino effect will hopefully get things aligned.

If all of this sounds weird to you then I'd say you're the odd one because most people have some aspect of this...why do you think so may people play the lottery?

Anyway, so today is going to be a lucky day for me, I've decided.  I don't know what kind of luck is in store for me, but I'm hoping it comes in the form of an awesome opportunity, however that manifests.

Maybe I'm just hopeful that I have some control over things that are actually out of my control, and thinking in terms of "luck", or "not jinxing things" helps me feel in some sort of control.  Hey at this point, I'll take it.

Are there things you're superstitious about?

Biting my tongue until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment