Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oh hey there...nice umbrella.

Since we're on the topic of Noah-reminiscent rain, and clearly we are, I thought I'd bring up one of the age old questions.  Should men use umbrellas?

Okay so I realize this is sexist and double standardish but I was just walking back from running some errands (new cardigan for graduation and nylons since it will not be May-like weather tomorrow and I'm wearing a fun dress) and I passed a guy who was very attractive, I'd say late 20's, tall, built, manly and overall very much my type.  Then I saw, the umbrella.

At the very least it was one of the big ones (that's what she said).  You know, one of them tall cane-like umbrellas. It was at least a bit more masculine than say a pink zebra print pop-out J. Crew umbrella (mine)...but it's an umbrella none the less.

I think I would have been less surprised by it if he were wearing a suit and looking like he had to preserve his attire for an important meeting, if he was older (40+ umbrella is more acceptable, no?) or even if he were metro or something where you could chalk it up to having a fashion sense.  But no.  He was wearing a dark green polo, khakis, loafers and looked like he stepped out of Abercrombie from the days where the music wasn't as loud, the girls weren't as whorish and when I used to shop there...I bet he was even wearing boxers with moose on them and Woods (apparently it's back).

Anyway, he was very cute, and for that I wouldn't say an umbrella is make or break.  I mean, I carry around my umbrella pretty much everywhere, but that is really because my hair will get curly if it gets wet, or I'm not wearing waterproof mascara or something. 

I wonder if he felt self conscious or if there was a moment of hesitation this morning when he decided to bring it along with him on his saunter down the road, to where ever he was going.  Maybe he didn't think about it at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like a guy who takes care of himself but it was just striking that this guy was more worried about getting his short hair and polo wet than the fact that he had to lug around a huge umbrella and look like a frat boy who stole some old mans cane...and it's not even raining today (yet).

I suppose I could imagine being happy dating a guy who carried an umbrella on those days where I have misplaced or had forgotten my own...or you know because of the whole dating a guy part.  Details, details.

Until next time,
E

3 comments:

  1. allstars and an umbrella...http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/chinatown-new-york-reflections/

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of them here :) http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/ginza-tokyo-rain/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I don't think you got my previous comment, sorry if you get this twice (the ability to add comments is weird, it isn't clear that after you click "post comment" you have to then enter a "catcha" phrase after the screen reloads. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have done this...)

    I'm confused by this post. Does this mean that only "uncool" guys use umbrellas even if it is raining? Or does this only apply to carrying umbrellas if it might rain and is not actually raining? Or maybe it's his choice in style for umbrellas?

    -Colin W

    ReplyDelete