Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Moving home gracefully and temporarily. (Part IV - FINAL)

Part III
Part I

...and now, the final chapter of this saga.
 
So, most of you know by now that I’m moving out of my mom’s house…tomorrow.

It’s been an interesting road and the last two months have been a whirlwind of changes that have kind of come in like a tidal wave.  

All of the changes are good changes, but change is stressful, none the less.

Tomorrow I’ll be moving into a really cute apartment with a girl I knew when I was younger, I’ll be a 3-4 minute walk from a little city center, shops, the train, ciders on a patio, some hustle and bustle…and I’m very excited.

I’m a bit sad to be leaving mom’s even though I’ve griped about it since the beginning, but I’ve bee really lucky to have the opportunity to live there, not stress about money (too much), and allow the right job/situation to come to fruition before taking the plunge.  

A lot of you know my mom, she’s no short of being an awesome mom, and it’s been really nice to have her as my roommate, but it’s time for me to go.  It’s time for me to do my own thing again, live in an apartment, pay rent, commute to work, and you know, be an adult.

I’ll be home a decent amount for family stuff and the pool this summer…and to see my old dog, and of course to see my mom.  I’ll be about 42 minutes away from her, so she’ll also have to get her butt into the city to see me, too!

It’s an interesting relationship we have.  Obviously she’s my mom and I’m her daughter, but these last 9 months have reminded me that we have kind of a special thing.  For a long time it was really just me and her riding through choppy waters of challenging times with much shared experiences that we reminisce about, laugh about, and cry about.  

Considering it’s really been the two of us, she serves as not only a mom, but a sister in some ways and absolutely a friend.  I know she’s sad I’m leaving, because it’s been fun to hang out, and have a glass of wine after work…and to be honest, I’m sad too.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than ready, but it’s a bit bitter sweet as I know that this time I’m moving out into a new phase/chapter and God-willing I’ll never need to live at home again…although I guess I said that when I moved out after college too.

But I know I always could, if I needed to.

It’s been a great and transformative 9 months.   

I’ve rekindled/strengthened old friendships with people at home and I’ve spent many enjoyable Wednesday nights throwing some back with old friends where our friend bartends.  It’s really been fun.  Also, since moving I’ve gotten new jobs, I’ve worked on the first post-masters year of my career, and a year closer to being independently licensed, I’ve met new people, I’ve seen my family a lot, and I met someone really special to me.

It really has all fallen into place.

Sure, there will be choppy waters from time to time, but really these last 9 months have been the comfortable and comforting transition I needed into this next phase of my life.  Maybe I’m a bit behind for someone turning 28 in a couple weeks; maybe I’m a bit ahead, who knows. 

As of right now I’m just where I am. 

And tomorrow I’ll be somewhere different. 

Literally.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment