Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine's Day is for lovers, and haters

You may have noticed the uptick in advertising for chocolates, flowers, diamonds and the new KY.  You may have noticed your friends who have significant others planning out their special plans, or anticipating the plans they hope to be surprised by.  
So it's that time of year again when it's great to be single.

Oh no, wait, I mean it's Valentine’s Day season.  Sorry, I obviously lost focus for a second.

There are about 360 days a year when your marital status is something you may ruminate about, but others don't tend to notice (excluding of course birthdays, Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa whatever, New Year’s Eve, maybe 4th of July and clearly, Valentine’s Day).  On these special days, however there tends to be the pink elephant in the room of that you don't have someone "special" to celebrate with. 

Some of us single folks feel we need to defend ourselves:
-"Oh is V-day this week? Hmm I forgot."
-"Valentine’s Day is stupid."
-"Who cares, it's just another day."
-"Even when I was in a relationship I didn't care about V-day.”

All lies.

But really, people in relationships don't care about you not having a bf/gf, and other single people are in the same boat so there is no need to be defensive.  And really this isn't so bad.  You may have noticed your single friends are thankful that Valentine’s Day is on a Monday.  That way we (I mean, they) can pretend it's not even happening.  But why don't we instead embrace that this Hallmark-created holiday is going on, and use it as an opportunity to celebrate being single and spending the money on our own drinks versus on a gift for someone we care about. 

I had thought about making a survival guide (since I've survived a few) for all my single readers (I'm sure there are about 10 of you at least), but I thought instead I'd celebrate the fact that right now there are many things our lives going well, and a relationship does not define our success and happiness.

So let's pretend we're doing that, the celebration, and assume that it's the case. :)

Okay still not convinced? Well, I'll leave you with this:

I wish you all a very happy Valentine’s Day Weekend full of love, (safe) sexual expression and laughter.  And for those of you actually in a relationship, well, I hope those for you too, and for you not to fight this weekend.

Kisses and hugs to you all.

Until next time,
E

Need a laugh? :)  V Day Some E Cards

No comments:

Post a Comment