Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Music that makes your heart sing even when you don't know the words

I wrote this post last night, but didn't get a chance to post it until this morning.  So forgive me for the late night writing and what that brings (though I clearly don't edit my posts very much, ever).

******
So I just got home from a concert in town, and it was fantastic.  The genre was reggae/rap, but that description really doesn't do it justice.  For any nay-sayers OR people interested in good music, please check all these guys out out (here are a few of my pics from the show):

 Fear Nuttin Band
Mambo Sauce (the girl will be
uber famous one day, quote me










and 1000% check out SOJA



Anyway, I had some epiphanies and I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with the PBR tall-boys they were serving.

Music is a godsend.  I mean really there are very few things, if anything that can bring people together in such a bountifully joyous way.

There are aspects of religion that come close for some, but due to how charged that can be, I'd say music is even more pure, in a sense.  I mean we're not talking the Britney's or Katy Perry's of the industry or something (while I do enjoy that on occasion, don't judge), but what I'm saying is soulful music, music that moves you, music that makes your heart sing even when you don't know the words.

It was that kind of night.  I felt like everything was crystalized around me, and no I don't mean because of the contact high that I may or may not have gotten.  Really the type of music and the crowd's enthusiasm was inspiring and I felt plugged in.

As much as the being at the show was fantastic, I was aware that I am inching towards concert-going extinction.  Not that I'll ever stop going to concerts, but that I'm closer to being the creepy woman in the back of the show who knows all the words.  Not to mention that almost all the people at the show looked as if they were 18, maybe 20 at best, but were all wearing the orange wrist "I can drink" band that I was.  Even though I work with 18-22 year olds, I still have a hard time figuring out people's ages.  They just all look so young, even at 22.

Speaking of the people I work with, I saw a client.  It's interesting to see them in the wild, as I'm sure it is for them to see me (their therapist).  I say that really in an endearing way, because I think there is a lot to learn about how people are in their lives versus "on my couch".  I'm not sure if I was seen tonight, but I wasn't doing anything crazy that I'd be worried that they saw me. I did my best to not cross direct paths in order for it to not be awkward or so that I didn't have to hide the PBR I was drinking but I let myself not worry too much about it so I could enjoy the show. I have a life and I'm allowed to do things even if it means I see my clients from time to time.

Anyway.

While my ears are ringing, sounds are slightly dulled and my feet are aching from standing and dancing all night in my Street Walker Black Boots; I feel good.  Bob Marley said it best, "One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain".

Live music is always rejuvenating and enjoyable essentially no matter what it is.  For this frequent flier of concerts, it has actually been a while since I got a good dose.  I think my soul needed it.

What shows have you seen recently that moved you?

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment