Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

When personality tests require a grain of salt...for your wounds! (ha)

For my "Career Counseling" class I had to take an assortment of personality and aptitude tests for a project, in which we do career counseling with one another (although in theory we know what career we're going into at this point).  What was interesting was how accurate they were on some things.  It is different to "know" aspects of yourself with some self reflection versus seeing it black and white: "You are this."

Some of you have probably heard of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.  This is essentially a personality test in which you answer 93 questions, each with 2 options, and pick the one that "fits you best" (often it feels like both apply).  It's not really surprising, but I ended up with a combination that landed me in one of the extremes.  In a 4 x 4 chart I'm the 16th square. I have a strong personality? Huh, go figure.

Some of you who know me well, will agree with my description (I landed as an "Extroversion - Intuition - Thinking - Judging Type", see the end of this post for the definitions - judging does not directly mean judgmental):

Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily.  Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organization problems.  Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting.  Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding know their knowledge and passing it on to others.  Forceful in presenting their ideas.

Hmm. Pretty much. Not completely how I'd like to see myself, or how I'd like to be seen (so I made it nicer font), but at this stage in my life it seems accurate.

This has sparked a couple of conversations with various people, from various areas, in my life.  I've been in a place lately where I'm seeking some feedback...

The tones of the MBTI were reiterated yesterday when I was having an in depth conversation with a classmate and when I asked for them to be honest about how I present myself in a particular class. They said essentially - that I sometimes I can get defensive when people offer feedback.

Fair.  Okay so if I wasn't already feeling anxious enough based upon inter-office BS, feeling new to the field and not sure of my competence, having challenges with some of my clients, having to refer out clients I enjoy working with for various reasons, etc...but I also have to look at the fact that I can't take criticism well. 

I asked the question, recently in another conversation, "Who would be okay with getting criticized?  If someone has self confidence, how could they take it and swallow?".  

I think what I've noticed is that there are some people I can take it from, use it, and learn from it.  Ultimately I grow a lot from the feedback that I digest and allow to be helpful.  However, when I interpret it as a dig, coming from a malicious place or coming from someone who I feel that doesn't have the authority to "know it better than I do", then I can be dismissive.  All true.  All not so great. I've probably learned this to be protective in a way.  I use what I value, and deflect what I don't.

I think what I've learned that what I do need to do, however, is start to open myself to all of it.  That way I have the potential to learn and grow even further, even if it is at the risk of bruising my ego, or triggering some self doubt (okay, some MORE self doubt...we all got some to start with!).


Well I guess in a sense, even writing this here, I've taken this criticism (constructive) rather well.  It's been challenging in the last week or so, but really it's allowed me to move into a different space where I'm trying to be more aware of these things and learn from others and how they see me.  Even by writing this blog I'm opening myself to judgement, criticism, etc.  So in a way this process has begun...


Do you take criticism well?  How do you do that without internalizing negative thoughts of yourself?

Read below...what combo do you think you would be if you took the test?

Until next time,
E


*****The "Types" are where you fall "more" to one between each option******
1) Extroversion: People who prefer Extraversion tend to focus on the outer world of people and things
OR
Introversion: People who prefer Introversion tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.


2) Sensing: People who prefer Sensing tend to focus on the present and on concrete information gained from their senses
OR
Intuition: People who prefer Intuition tend to focus on the future with a view toward patterns and possibilities


3)Thinking: People who prefer Thinking tend to base their decision primarily on logic and on objective analyses of cause and effect
OR
Feeling: People who prefer Feeling tend to base their decisions primarily on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns


4) Judging: People who prefer Judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled
OR 
Perceiving: People who prefer Perceiving Tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and like to keep options open 

No comments:

Post a Comment