Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kiss me, I'm a Cashew.

Well, I'm a quarter Irish.  My Dad was half English and half Irish and my mom's side is mostly from Russia and they're Jewish.  I wasn't lying when I called myself a mutt!  I like to refer to myself as a Cashew (Catholic Jew) although, really I'm more of like an Irenglijew, or maybe a Potato Latke makes more sense, but I'll stick with Cashew.  Don't they say "Everybody loves and Irish (Jewish) girl"?


I would say that if you looked at me you would likely think I was Irish since I have a fair complexion (I don't get the darkest tan on this hot bod, unfortunately), freckles (which I've grown to appreciate more), my face gets a little red when I drink and I look damn good in a kilt (I'd imagine).  


Most people don't assume I'm Jewish despite other clues that would indicate so, but I strongly identify with my Irish/English portion of myself (the top half? who knows).  


As a kid I was enthralled by gaelic music and wanted to be an Irish Step-dancer like you can't believe.  I would pretend to step in my living room and I'm pretty sure I was as good as River Dance, if I had a bit of training.  I've kissed the Blarney Stone in Ireland giving me the gift of Gab - which I obviously didn't need more of...but I do have this connection to feeling Irish, as it is a strong portion of my genetics.


As we all know that today, on St. Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish.  I think there s something pretty cool about the fact that people get so into St. Patrick's Day.  I mean I'm not so into the mysticism that the holiday is based on (the casting out of the snakes by Mr. Pat himself), but there is a unifying force around this time of year...I can't put my finger on it...beer.  


Liquid courage.  Social Lubrication.  This is one of the pillars of St. Patrick's Day that most people get excited for, and also to wear green and pretend they see leprechauns.  Okay, maybe people don't pretend to see leprechauns but I'm pretty sure this week I've seen a few close contenders, they seem to come out of the woodwork (you know, from in trees) around this time of year.


Let's celebrate something we don't know much about, but feel really connected to since our ancestors apparently survived the potato famine!  So, if you are at work, be productive so you can get out on time...if you're not working (and of age!) head to your local irish pub and drink a green beer or many (I don't condone binge drinking...much).  


Erin Go Bragh! Slainte!


Until next time,
E

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny that usually St. Patrick's Day and Purim are at the same time of the year? And so if one hasn't had enough beer for St. Patrick's Day one can continue with more alcohol consumtion on Purim...

    Olga L.

    ReplyDelete