Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

junk mail, bills and magazines, oh my!

Sorry to say for mail men and women everywhere, but I just wish everything was electronic.  Many things have changed over but frankly, not enough of apparently what my name is attached to.  I'm cool with magazines, but these damn credit card offers, I seriously get at least 3 every week.

No Citibank, I don't want another credit card, my sweet plastic friends are cozy in my wallet and there is no room for you.

How do you get rid of junk paper mail? I wish there was a place that compiled a list of all the mail and bills that came to your house so you can opt out and/or make sure you didn't miss anything important...it would save some trees and some paper cuts.  Million dollar idea frankly, someone should really start that if they haven't done so already.  If they have please let me know.

I'm a bit bitter as I just had to spend over an hour going through a Whole Foods' (I love me some Whole Foods, and you know how I feel about Mr. Joe the Trader!) paper bag full of mail that had not been opened and sorted in ages.  Literally I found Sports Illustrated from September 2010 and bills that were begging to be opened but I refused and instead paid online.  But then I was left with their papery reminder that I was lazy and didn't just open the damn envelope in the first place.

This is a terrible habit.  I need to be better about opening mail when I get it, recycle what I don't need/want and filing what I do.  I mean it is so simple, but for some reason the last thing I want to do is even check the mailbox, never mind be proactive about it.

Did I mention the paper cuts?

I got one on my knuckle, and you know that is the worst because it keeps reopening when I use my hand.  The worst.  Well actually, the worst is manila folder cuts, eek.

Medical bills, who pays those on time? Apparently not me, because I found many duplicate bill notifications...and even one collection warning. Woops, good thing I did actually miraculously pay them before that point.  Typically once the labels turned red (from originally yellow) I knew it was time, and they mean business.

Changing address.  This is a whole other issue.  So for the major things like bank, cell phone, credit card it is easy to know what to change and how to change them.  I'm not sure what I want to change my address for frankly.  This move may actually cut out my junk mail!  I feel bad for the guys moving into my place next month:  Here guys! Here is the Working Mother Magazine that I have no idea how I ended up receiving as I don't yet have children and only recently landed a job, JCrew Catalogs and my Discover 0% APR for 12 months offer.  You are welcome.


Well when I put my mind to it I do ultimately get organized.  I actually have a pretty good little filing box (seen here) where I end up knowing where important things are.  I really prefer to be organized I just don't know why I wait until the paper is spilling onto the floor.  In my next residence, or my next life, I suppose I'll try to do this differently.

I've realized there are some specific things that I have a hard time throwing away: birthday cards (I wish I was less efficient of taking the money out of cards, so that I could happen upon $100 at a later date), plastic hotel keys from cool places, business cards despite my lack of need for the services offered, my own old business cards from previous jobs, any printed photos regardless of the content/people in them, little nick-knacks that I've acquired as freebies with logos on them (that I might want someday, but definitely won't need any day).

One thing that kind of worries me is throwing away all this mail with my name and address and stuff all over it. I know that nothing with really sensitive information is going into the recycling bin, but isn't that how identity theft happens?  Maybe that's my subconscious excuse for keeping it versus getting rid of it.

I mean clearly I'm not on the show Hoarders (yikes, those poor folks, it's terrible) but I do wish I was able to de-clutter more.  Don't get me started on junk drawers.  Sexy isn't it, me talking about my bad habits? Ha. Oh well.


Well the project for the day is complete and no longer calling my name from the corner behind my desk (where I pretend it's not visible).  I did find a $5 winning scratch ticket, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

If you have thoughts on how to stay organized with paper mail, going electronic, changing addresses or generally how to maybe not air so much of your dirty laundry at any opportunity for the entertainment of others, let me know.

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment