Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, September 23, 2011

favorite things: homemade pizza

Today has been a fairly lazy day aside from going to the gym and helping my mom clean up/organize some of crap that fills the basement.

It's a bit rainy and gloomy, and since I didn't have to work today it kind of just added to the laziness factor.

Comfort food is something that I generally am up for, but since I've been healthier (ermmm I guess the last week or so?) I didn't decide to do my standard mac 'n cheese from a box, or order chinese, or order greasy delicious pizza, or whatever typically gives me comfort via my mouth (save your dirty comments, please).

So, I proposed to my lovely co-chef of the day (mom), that we make homemade pizzas for a late lunch/early dinner...comfort food but a bit healthier and top it off with a big glass of red...

This was sure to motivate us (bah!) to descend into the netherworld (basement) and clear out some clutter, organize my apartment stuff and prep for moving it at a later date (much later, from the looks of everything)...

Disclaimer:  This is not a food blog, nor will it ever likely turn into one.  I have friends who do a good job of this and I am not a foodie, though I wish I was.  Nor am I'an expert chef or even claiming that I know what is good to make...but I felt inspired to share this lovely fall meal....but keep an eye out for more of my "favorite things" that I find at Whole Foods and Trader Joes...I have a feeling there is more where this came from....


The pizzas (2 small corn crusts by Vicolo from Whole Foods):

South of the Boarder, Stay Classy 
The Stay Classy:
salsa (instead of sauce, healthier, more zesty)
turkey meatballs cut up
low fat cheddar
chopped up asparagus
goat cheese

The South of the Boarder:
refried beans (under salsa as a spread)
salsa
avocado
pepper jack cheese
green peppers
black olives

Well you live and learn:
-One thing, when you put lots of toppings on, I suggest adding extra time to the cooking time to make the crusts more crunchy, yum.
-Putting the cheese under some of the toppings stops it from burning and stays nice and melty.
-Both tasted really good, the South of the Border won...I think next time, blending up whole tomatoes as a sauce would be better with the goat cheese.

Best part? Leftovers.  Nothing like cold pizza.

Until next yum,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment