Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

to flu shot or not to flu shot

This is the question.

This was something my friend posted on his FB wall today and some people responded.  Similar to politics, medical topics get pretty heated and people typically feel pretty strongly one way or the other.

Like with politics, environmental issues, issues dealing with the poor, war, etc, there is very little you can do to convince someone to change their mind.  Some people do change their minds with more information one way or the other, but typically people fall on one side of the other and very little can change that.

So what is the use of arguing about it?  An argument is a conversation in which you hope that you change the other person's mind because you feel you are right.  Well, if we KNOW that things like the above subjects can not be "changed" when they are part of a fundamental value of someone then it explains the heated debates, the broken relationships/friendships and the reason why it isn't PC to discuss at dinner...

As with everything there are sides to each argument, and valid points...and also there are BS points.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an MD (do some research and consult your doctor before choosing to or not to), but as someone that doesn't jump at the chance for any shot and likes to be cautious about what I put in my body (aside from pizza and beer...okay I'm human), that I have done some looking into the flu shot specifically, as it was offered free through a previous employer and I got a lot of flack for not wanting to get one.

Flu shot is a smart choice for many people such as those people who are at risk of dying from the flu (people who are very young, elderly, their immune system is perhaps compromised), it is likely a good prophylactic approach for those who are constantly exposed to sick people (those in direct acute health care like the ER, for instance), or for those who want piece of mind because they always just seems to land the flu.  

Otherwise I'm not sure that it's the most important thing to concern ourselves with or even spend much time thinking about.

Yes, people die from the flu every year - which is why when Bird Flu epidemic hit it was interesting that the news touted it as something new/different...frankly the flu is something that is a threat to those who are vulnerable whether it is the Bird variety or not...and typically these are the people who I said might benefit from the flu shot.  Most of us get very bad colds over the fall winter (now I'm biting my tongue!) and think it's the flu when it might not be.  

There is no real treatment in western medicine for the flu, typically the hospitals and clinics tell you that if you think you have the flu, stay home and sleep for a few days...(unless you need fluids or something, or it is triggering a previously underlying medical condition).

So say you land the flu.  Is this the worst thing?  I mean yes, it's not comfortable, being sick sucks.  But, I mean maybe we need 3 days to sleep off our flu and crazy work lives.  I know we say we can't afford to miss work, but the flu isn't preventable 100% with the shot anyway.

They have improved the flu shots from what I understand over the last several years into hybrid flu shots (not the technical term, but this is how I understand it) where they combine a couple strains of the flu that they anticipate for that season.  This protects those who have the shot from those particular strains, but as we've seen over the years there are many strains that mutate and change every flu season. I know some of my friends who have gotten the shot and then gotten the flu (different strain)...

So what's the harm in getting one, you say?  Well I wouldn't go as far as to say "harm".  I don't know enough to comment on the effects on your body (although I'm sure there are some, since the intention is to have effects on your body), other than some say they feel like they get a cold after the shot sometimes.  What I do understand about viruses and things we get shots for is that if it isn't completely inoculated and the community isn't rid of it completely (like what was done with Polio, or the MMR vaccine that most Americans have gotten) it leaves room for stronger mutations to evolve.  It's like any other evolution, only the strongest and smartest survive.

Okay that was not meant to be alarmist, I don't think Super Flu will take over the world, BUT what I mean is because flu isn't just straight up "flu"...it is always changing - so I think that chasing on a massive scale it seems fruitless.

There are many ways to stay healthy during flu season if you decide to get the shot or not.  Vitamins, getting good sleep, exercise, washing your hands frequently when you are in public places or around others, eating healthy, seeking out other immune boosting things such as echinacea and goldenseal.

Whatever you chose to do or not do, I'd refrain from making others feel bad about their choices.  When someone feels badly about their decision it isn't motivation to get them to see your side of things (not to mention isn't a nice thing to do to others) if anything it makes them more defensive and more likely to hold fast to their original thoughts about the subject.  Not that anyone is on a mission to change your mind here, but no matter what I (or anyone says) you will ultimately do what you feel is right for you, and that is that...and that is okay.

The only people who tend to "change their minds" are those who aren't sure in the first place...they're on the fence.  To those people I'd say do some research (not just reading blogs and asking friends), and make your decision and move on.  

The key takeaway from this is - If you continue to make educated decisions, then you are just doing what makes the most sense for you as an individual. The challenge is that people aren't always making educated decisions.  I'm not saying I'm the most educated on this topic, by any means, but I'm offering you the opportunity to take a step back, and assess what the pros/cons are and then moving forward with what you feel is best for you (and not chastising those who chose differently).

I don't think asking the questions and doing some legwork is ever the wrong approach.

Wishing you a happy and healthy flu season...no matter what you chose.

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment