Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Friday, September 23, 2011

the new facebook timelines - nostalgia at your fingertips

So in the last couple of days many, if not all, of us have noticed the newest tweaks for Facebook.

My Wednesday statuses (until I got burnt out from caring about FB):

-Facebook, you have officially confused me.


-Might be time to change to Google+.


-Facebook, just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!


-I apologize for all of the facebook-update-related postings, I can't help it...but then again, you probably won't be able to even find this post, or any of my others, anyway.


**************

haha friends had posted this a
couple times, thought it was funn
Initially, as I had posted, I was a bit confused about where statuses were coming and going...however it didn't take long for my youth-like computer literacy to kick in and intuitively learn how the sidebar worked, how the two different feeds of recent and what Facebook deems as important were stacked, etc.

I can't say that I agree with how it's sorted in terms of importance, but Facebook learns what you like and don't like when you tell it...like a good boyfriend (or Xzibit, seen above).

A lot of people were upset, but there were a few that were more open and forward thinking and reminded us fellow posters that Facebook always changes, we bitch and then we settle in.  I think I'm already used to the new Facebook home page.

Now what I think the biggest change is, will be our profiles.  Timelines, is what Facebook is calling them...where you can click to say, 2007 on the right hand side and it's like a "where are they now" but in retrospect.

**I looked up how to update your profile before the launch of the new Timelines on September 30th the new Timelines, and found that one was here, or through FB at the bottom, here.**

Example from MSNBC or check out https://www.facebook.com/about/timeline
I hate to say it but, it feels a little like MySpace (eek) mixed with scrapbooking.  It has a Mac feel vs. PC feel, like designing your "webspace" within Facebook, versus a straight stream of activity.

The positives being that it's more of a collage of what you and others post on your wall, and pictures are displayed more attractively.   You have the opportunity to add things in the past, take out things in the past, create a "backdrop", which they call a cover - mine is of the city skyline that I took from my old apartment window...memories.  Also things like "I bought a house" (or a car), or lost a loved one, are now options for updates and placeholders in time (even ones that occured in the past.  Now things are less "set in stone" as they once were, you can add things in, take things out, pick who see's what, and what never sees the light of day again...(except the fact that it was online at some point and doesn't actually ever go away.

 I think what might be challenging about it is seeing (and others seeing) where you were 3 years ago (was it the same place? different? what was I wearing?), or even 6 years ago.  Yikes.

It was interesting to scroll through and see that Facebook was able to recognize big events like "E graduated from such and such a program".

I think ultimately people will be going back and entering in scanned pictures of their family vacations into their timeline and utilizing it as the the main scrapbook of their lives.

My only concern is that then Facebook owns this content.  Then it isn't a private thing when you hold your kids on your lap (I imagine, since I don't have any yet), and flip through big books that smell aged and like the attic where they sat for ages, the pages kind of sticking together after not having been opened since a few years after the pictures were taken...and the excitement building as you turn the page.  Ahh, when life was simple.

But on the flip side, the future generations will likely have iPads on the backs of their hands, and accessing their history, their parents history and their family scrapbooks will just be one of the many things that has changed in the face of technology.

Get ready to get a bit emotional as you scroll back when you see friends you haven't spoken to in a while, relationships that have started and ended, periods of time where you posted a lot, didn't post, pictures you wish no one had taken, pictures you forgot you had taken, and nostalgia all at your fingertips like it's not been seen before.

Until it changes again, as it always does,
E

Ps. also check these blogs out on the subject:
Funny
Helpful (sidenote: I think you can also go into "Events" from the home page, and select "Past Events" on the bottom, then go through to the ones that are public, or that you earmarked as wanting to be private, and change your past response from "attending/attended" to "maybe or no". I think it will come out of your Timeline but will be still in your past events...That's at least the trick for them to not show up on your "wall" previously!)

No comments:

Post a Comment