Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

How about this weather?

Yesterday morning I was walking to internship (it was heavily snowing) and I got half way to work, let's say about 7 minutes away from my apt, and I realized that I had forgotten the bag with my change of shoes*.   So I was wearing rain boots (bright pink and white) with my brown corduroys tucked in, which is really really attractive I assure you.



Obviously this look would not be acceptable at internship, and I had to turn around.  There was a brief moment of "OH MY F*CKING GOD I WISH I LIVED SOMEWHERE WARM" but after I got back to my apt, grabbed my bag and set out again, I had let go of some of the frustration. Other than now running late I tried to not focus on how much it sucked and was stressing me out.  I was sweating at this point; the hot/cold thing at the same time can be brutal.



I took my gloves off, took my hood off, put the hood back on, opened my jacked, zipped up, and tried to use an umbrella to block me from wind gusts.  The other thing the umbrella blocked me from, was seeing.  Two separate times I almost got hit by plows/sidewalk CAT-whatever-they-are-calleds.  I mean forgive me for walking on a sidewalk, trying to not slip, while shielding myself from the wipping winds of snow flakes...I didn't realize plows had the right of way.


Plows have the right of way.


Anyway, I survived my run ins with the plows/sidewalk clearers, made it to internship only about 15 minutes and only sweated for about 15 minutes after I got there.  Not bad.


To say the least, I can appreciate the sentiment that the snow is annoying, and that life would be easier without it.  But what about the most exciting days of the year as a kid? Snow days were literally like the big O, or a gift from God, if I've ever experienced one.  Surprise! You can go out and play in the snow, and you don't have to take that calculus text yet, or pass in that French paper that you should probably review un autre time...or even hell,  just go back to sleep under the coziness of your down comforter.



Okay so true, as adults we're paying for the joy we used to get, in a sense. But I'm not sure I would trade it.  I still like to play in the snow and I don't yet have to shovel my way out of my front door (sorry for those of you who do, however getting my car out of a spot? Whole other story-another blog post, another time).  I'm determined to sled this winter, maybe even ski if I can muster the courage to get back into it after a couple seasons off (and scrounge up some money...ugh).   Anyone have snow shoes?



***



When there is nothing else to say, conversations tend to turn to the weather.  Right now, for the people in New England, the constant pummeling of snow has been a hot topic in all parts of my life (internship, school, friends, facebook, etc).  I try not to be cliché and talk to my clients about the weather, but sometimes you just have to comment on it.  It's this strange phenomenon where we all have it in common and it's a space filler.  Frankly, sometimes the weather is ridiculous and we can't resist. 




Anyway, not to just fill space, but, we are expecting more snow in the next couple of days and the middle/end of next week.  Brace yourselves.  My suggestion is hot chocolate and Baileys (no they're not paying me to say this, yet), a down comforter and a snuggle buddy. 


Until next time,

E



*For the possible 3 guys who might read this, when there is inclement weather, we girls tend to bring a change of shoes with us and wear either commuter (ugly/comfy) shoes, rain boots, or the infamous Uggs. 

1 comment:

  1. I read it, and that is why I have a shoe drawer at work, more guys than you think do.

    ReplyDelete