Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Street Walker Black Boots

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find black boots.

I had a pair that suited me fine, rider style, a little big/bulky for my liking but comfortable and "good enough".  I had bought them at from good shoe company and thought that they'd last me a while.  Well, here I am a season later, and the zipper on the inside of the boot is defunked.  I tried to fix it, making it worse and totally unwearable.  The zipper on the other boot is also starting to pull apart, and really, I need to bring them to a cobbler (yes they still have those).

But really, I don't love the boots.  They are great for lots of walking, but they're not particularly cute, and I can't really dress them up for work, so they are fairly limiting.  I think I'll still fix them for next season, as they're good in the snow, but for now, I needed some black boots so that I can start wearing my black/gray tones and not be limited by my brown (but, very cute) boots.

Alas, yesterday my friend and I walked down the shopping street on a quest to find new black boots.  I had in mind a simple boot, flat, decent traction, can be dressed up/down, and I had kind of a picture in my mind of what that might look like.

The problem with black leather is that sometimes it can look cheap. I'm not sure why it can look cheaper than colored leather, but for some reason I have a hard time with black leather bags/boots/etc with feeling like sometimes they look cheap/trashy.

Tall boots, tall black boots, have a tendency to make me think "street walker".  Not so much on other people really, but I was feeling very sure that I wanted something understated and not overtly "sexy" so that they were appropriate for work, going out, and for the fact that I'm not 21 anymore.

Upon scouring the many styles that were available this late in the season I noticed a few things.  There were either ugly boots, boots with no zipper (who can do that?), boots with heels and really casual-distressed leather boots which I loved, but doesn't cut it for what I need.  Or were brown, gray, etc and not black at all...

I landed on a pair from Aldo (eh), which are comfortable.  I've been assured they don't look trashy and are dressy enough that I can wear them with dresses, and toned down enough for skinny jeans and leggings. My issue is that they are not flat.  They are wedge.  Not gross wedge, but probably 2.5 inches high.  I don't know if I'm turning into an old lady but I was struggling with this because the idea of a wedge seemed, well, trashy.  I was assured by the guy working at the shoe place that I didn't look like a street walker, and my friend also assured me that wedges were not inappropriate for me.

So I bought them.  They're good quality boots, with zippers on the outside so they won't snag on the other boot (like my other black ones), and they give me a little height, the wedge is more comfortable/sturdy than a stiletto (and surely less street walker like, right?).

I'll know I've made a mistake if someone asks "How much?" ...until then, they'll do.

Until next time,
E

1 comment:

  1. Ahhahaha I HATE buying boots! My calves are not boot friendly. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete