Welcome! New here? Check out the "About me" and "Popular Posts" tabs to catch up to speed.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

You are not who I think you are

Woops.

So maybe it's due to having a newer phone that I'm still getting the hang of, maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention or maybe its my subconscious getting me into these situations.

In the last couple of weeks there have been a handful of times I've sent a text message to someone only to get a response from someone else.  The responses range from "What?", "Huh?" and the most recent, "So soon?", or no response at all.  After waiting for a response and not getting one, or getting these questions, it dawns on me that I've typed someone's name into the TO box or clicked on the wrong contact.

Most of the time this isn't such a big deal, where "woops! Sorry that was for someone else!" suffices, and other times, as you can imagine, this can be embarrassing or worse.  Thankfully I haven't had any major blunders in this rehlm but I surely have heard of people texting "Oh, Soand So is such a bitch!" only to realize it was sent to Soand So.

My tiny story example was last night, which was not really brutal, but was slightly embarrassing.

I was out for a dear friend's birthday and I had to leave early since I had to be up early for a family event this morning.  I had told a friend that I was with that I'd let her know when I got home safe and sound.

Text from me to friend: "Home! xo"
Friend: So soon? ;)

At first I was confused, did I get home that quickly?

Then like a wave of knowing crashing against the rocks of my brain it hit me - I had texted a guy I don't know well (who had texted me earlier that day about something).  So, as I'm walking into my apartment not fully paying attention, I must have clicked on the wrong text from earlier and responded with what looked like a very forward, and maybe even suggestive text message.   Oops.

He clearly knew I didn't mean to text him that, but gave me a hard time none the less.

I'd say the "funniest" part of this was that about 15 minutes after I had gone to bed after the mix up (ps. I ended up correctly texting my friend after so she knew I was alive), I got a text from this same guy saying,

Him: "What did she say?"
Me: "Huh?"
Him: "Your girlfriend? Is she going to come chill with us?"
Him: "Bah, my turn for the wrong text! Sorry"

Must have been something in the air...

In the same vein, I also notice that I "like" things on Facebook by accident on my phone's touch screen.  I never know if when it's a awkward or random "like" (I haven't spoken to that person in 13 years or I have no idea what the status even means) if I should "unlike" or if I should just leave it there and hope that it doesn't draw unwanted notifications or questions later.

Any thoughts on "liking by accident" etiquette?

I think I'm going to have to be a bit more careful what I click on with this phone.  Safe and happy texting, everyone.

Until next time,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment